Audra (Unabridged Chick)'s Reviews > Lisey's Story

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

I spent my teenage years glutting myself on '70s-era Stephen King and burned out, vowing never to give him another minute of my time. Then I married a devoted Stephen King fan who has pestered me to read one of her favorites since forever. Upon signing up for the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VI reading challenge, I decided to tackle a King novel then since it would fit the challenge perfectly and I'd get my wife to stop harassing me.

Little did I know I'd totally dig this book! I'm not going to say I'm a new King fan but I do have to acknowledge that something like twenty years has passed between the publishing date of the books I read as a teen and this novel, and thankfully, in twenty years or so, King's grown as a writer. I know I'm going to sound ridiculous swooning over Stephen King because everyone's going to think either, 'Welcome to the club', or 'Really?' but I can't help myself: this was an unexpectedly pleasurable read for me.

Anyway, on to the actual story. The novel follows Lisey Landon, widow of a famous, much lauded novelist, as she deals with her husband's papers. Nagged by academics and fans who think literary widows are a hindrance, Lisey finds herself the focus of a seriously deranged fan with violent designs on her. In dealing with him, Lisey has to come to terms with some moments in her marriage that she's tried to block out.

While I didn't always believe King's take on a fifty-ish widow, I enjoyed his articulation of a long, loving, albeit intense marriage. There was romance, in a way, since Lisey and Scott had a successful marriage, but it isn't a romantic story. I wouldn't call this a horror -- this was a creepy story but not out-and-out scary, which was good for me as I'm a wimp -- and it felt more magical-y than anything. Not quite paranormal, not quite supernatural, not quite fantasy. The narrative read fast, the characters felt real, including Lisey's deceased husband Scott, and I delighted in Lisey's real transformation into an ass-kicking heroine.

If you're new to Stephen King, consider this novel. I'm reminded a bit of Laura Lippman and Jennifer McMahon and that sort of tense, nail-biting, creepy thriller that is so good for lazy weekends and causes many late nights. And I promise, the exhaustion next morning is worth it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lisey's Story.

10/20/2011 page 20
3.0% "resentfully, I am enjoying this so far. If only I was home enjoying this rainy day rather than at work, dreaming abt reading!"
10/21/2011 page 202
31.0% "Stayed up way too late reading, and tried to stop at a less creepy part so I could go to sleep. So now I'm overtired, creepied out, AND eager for more. *grumble grumble* ..."
10/21/2011 page 248
38.0% "Dark out, check. Alone in house, check. Creepies on my neck? Check. Should I keep reading...??"
10/24/2011 page 448
68.0% "Omg. Hit THE big squicky thing my wife knew would upset me, but story has been so great up to and after that point I'm sticking to it. I'm really having fun with this book despite my intention to hate it!" 1 comment
11/17/2011 page 626
95.0% "After brief hiatus because I was in denial about finishing this, I've resumed this morning and am back in love with this book and dreading finishing it!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell I really liked this one! Lisey was great, and so were her sisters.