Serendipity Reviews's Reviews > Hades

Hades by Alexandra Adornetto

May 01, 12

bookshelves: to-review
Read in April, 2012

This is the second book in the Halo series, where we return to Bethany's new life on Earth as an angel incognito. It is so lovely to see her relationship with Xavier is still going strong, even if he does baby her quite a bit. Although we will forgive him, as she is beyond innocent and still coming to terms with life on Earth, her angel wings shield her from the bad things in life. However this book does see a change in behaviour from Bethany. When kidnapped and forced to live in Hades, Bethany learns to kick butt. She goes out of her way to trick the demonic but dangerously handsome Jake. She even stands up to the Big Daddy of the Underground himself. So it is really refreshing to see such a change in her character in her as the story progresses.

I love the imagery used to portray Hades. The author has created a sleek, modern, minimalistic, yet dark world full of swish hotels and dangerous nightclubs. Imagine New York at Halloween! On stepping out of the safety of the area Jake has created, Bethany realises their is a lot of evil and eternal hell going on around her, which definitely toughens up her angelic soul.

I loved how strong the relationship is between Xavier and Bethany. Yet it was rather lacking in this book, as they were apart for so long. I really do hate it when you become attached to such an intense and beautiful relationship within a book, only to have it torn apart in the sequel. I want to see more of Xavier and Bethany in the next book!

This book ended on a cliff hanger, leaving me desperate again for another sequel. *sighs*

I really do enjoy this series. I know that there are many mixed reviews about the books, but I love the innocence and purity of the characters created by the author. I do think people forget how young Alexandra Adornetto is, and I feel it is her naivety which makes this series so beautiful. I wish I could have written books like this when I was her age.

If you like your angels pure and your romance innocent, then this is definitely the series for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hades.

01/26/2012 page 160
38.0% "Imagine Hell as a dark modern Metropolis - a bit like Gotham City! Interesting view of Hades." 1 comment
03/16/2012 page 320
75.0% "I love this series."
show 1 hidden update…

Hayley Thorpe I love this series.