Celine's Reviews > The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer

Aug 19, 11

bookshelves: vampires, young-adult, short-stories, ebook
Recommended to Celine by: hardcore Twilight fans
Read from August 10 to 12, 2011

I'm not a big fan of Twilight, I don't make a secret of that. I think Meyer is pushing the boundaries by still releasing Twilight stories (i.e. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, Midnight Sun). That this little novella is for sale for over fifteen dollars is beyond me.

But I was curious, I was on vacation with nothing to do but read in the sun, so I gave Miss Bree Tanner a try.

Turns out, Bree's life is quite boring. This is 150 pages of Bree doing this, Bree doing that. Bree is thirsty, Bree drinking some blood. Everybody hates Bree, so Bree is hiding in a corner. Bree finds an instant love interest, boy out of the blue likes Bree. There is a big mystery going on, and Bree solves it!

The writing in The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner is quite al right, I don't really have something to complain about there. Meyer is a very clear writer, making her books accessible for the general public. The problem I'm having is that her books are empty. There is no meat, no substance. I feel like we're watching a puppet-show. The characters move about a lot, they tell a story, but in the end, they're only puppets.

I don't understand why Miss Meyer thought Bree's was a story that needed to be told. I read the post on her site about it, but I still don't understand. I'm all for the underdog's perspective, but Bree just doesn't have anything interesting to bring. I would have enjoyed this novella more if it had been from Riley's perspective. Now that would have been interesting.

I would recommend The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner only for the hardcore Twilight fans. For the casual reader this novella has nothing to bring, especially not for it's insane price.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I didn't understand the need for this book. Bree appears in Eclipse for all of 10 seconds and all she does is scream and lunge for Bella. It would have been way more interesting for her to focus on maybe a Volturi or some of the other vamps.