Thomas's Reviews > Blood Red Road

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

2018505
Aug 14, 2011

bookshelves: five-stars, own-physical, young-adult, science-fiction, dystopia
Read from August 31 to September 02, 2011

4.5 stars.

Blood Red Road takes place in a post-apocalyptic time period where the world is covered in deserts ravaged by dust storms. Eighteen-year-old Saba has spent her entire life in Silverlake, a secluded wasteland with only three other inhabitants: her twin brother Lugh, her annoying nine-year-old sister Emmi, and her insane father Pa. She's relatively content until four horsemen arrive and abduct Lugh, leaving her without the light of her life. Now she must venture outside of Silverlake into a dangerous world in order to bring back Lugh at any cost.

Ah, brain candy at its finest. Blood Red Road doesn't aim to inspire or change the way you think, rather, it's pure adventure. And what an adventure it is. Cage fighting, human sacrifice, and killer worms three times the size of humans - what else could you ask for?

I re-read the first page of this book a couple of times, thinking "wow, two typos already? that's surprising..." It took a little time for me to adjust to the writing style, but after the first hundred pages I didn't even notice the lack of grammar. I applaud Moira Young for keeping the tone consistent throughout the novel. Can you imagine the difficulty of writing a 400+ page novel without proper grammar? That almost scares me as much as the hellwurms.

Does this book live up to what its book jacket offers? "Searing pace", check. "Poetically minimal writing style", check. "Relentless action", check. "Epic love story"... I wouldn't use the word "epic", but it was passable. So somewhat check.

If you're like me and about to begin school, I'd set this one aside for when you have some free time. It'll be near-impossible to put it down.

*cross-posted from my blog, the quiet voice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Red Road.

Kwesi 章英狮 I'm glad you enjoy reading the book, I read this next.

Thomas I hope you enjoy it too! (:

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Hmmm…I have heard mixed reviews on this one. I am curious now. There is nothing wrong with giant killer worms! :)

Thomas So have I, though the general consensus seems to be positive. Giant killer worms do provide an enticing incentive to read a book. (;

Sasha just picked this up at a border's sale :)

Thomas I bought my copy from Border's too! (:

message 7: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Killer worms and dust storms....sounds like something I should read. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Guys read also Dune.

message 9: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy I've tried and set it aside, but that was a long time ago.

message 10: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Sep 12, 2011 09:39PM) (new) - added it

Kwesi 章英狮 I had a friend who told me that this book was inspired from the Dune series.