Renee's Reviews > Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero

Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson

Aug 14, 11

Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson with Susy Flory is about much more than a guide dog named Roselle. The book intertwines the events of 9/11 as experienced by the author in the north tower of the World Trade Center with his life story. We hear first-hand what one man experienced with his guide dog as he made his way down seventy-eight flights of stairs to safety. We also learn of the life of a blind man growing up in a family that treated him as any seeing child - even driving a car at times.

I fully expected the focus of the book to be on the dog (and I am not a dog person) but it didn't come across that way to me as the reader; rather it was a story of trust and triumph. I was on the edge of my seat reading how one man putting his trust in a guide dog survived not only at Ground Zero but also excelled in life. Thunder Dog brings the reader inside the north tower to share the experiences of one survivor and into the life of a man destined to be successful in life despite what society views as a disability.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thunder Dog.