Julia's Reviews > Reading the Ceiling

Aug 14, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: africa, gambia
Read from September 07 to 11, 2011

Interesting concept - we all know that the whole life can take a really different take based on one spur-of-the-moment decision and thus the author evolves this novel from three different parting points in the life of 18-year-old Ayodele. I really liked the end of the book and the legend of the mermaid which might have been the author's parting point to start writing this book. I also enjoyed the details on Gambian life, food, dress, etc. very much. Unfortunately I never really cared for any of the characters. It might the be fact that the reader from a certain point knows that the author is only playing with puppets, but probably it also has to do with the rather detached writing style. Dayo Forster is definitely a talented writer and follows the the very sensible concept "show, not tell", but sometimes I just felt very much left out of the inner world of the main character. Her feelings seldom find big expression on the pages of the book and sometimes the stories of her life sound more like an enumeration of biographical facts and anecdotes. If not for the ending, I would have given this book only two stars as it didn't have much of an impact on me, but still it's a fast and entertaining read. A nice change after Jelinek's "Piano Teacher".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reading the Ceiling.