Edward's Reviews > Representations of the Intellectual

Representations of the Intellectual by Edward W. Said

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: intellectuals

I was not much enlightened on the subject because Said was general for the most part regarding Western intellectuals but tended to go off on tangents dealing with Middle East. The generality seemed to be the byproduct of the book actually being a series of BBC lectures on the subject; thus there was no serious development or continuity of the themes alluded to. Nonetheless it pointed me to other intellectual scholarship that might be worth reading in part; for example Intellectuals by Paul Johnson which Said catagorizes as “ … scurrilous, as well as hopelessly cynical.” I did read Johnson’s chapter on Bertrand Russell and various examples of his hypocritical tirades against the government policies. Until this point I never considered Russell anything but a philosopher but in fact he was a fine mathematician and logician which are distinct from his philosophical pronouncements. I suppose that even our philosophers have clay feet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Representations of the Intellectual.