stephanie's Reviews > The Invention of Love

The Invention of Love by Tom Stoppard

Jul 08, 08

bookshelves: classics, drama, high-school-reading, would-rec, philosophy-religion-etc
Recommended to stephanie by: mr. hackling
Read in April, 2000

i heard this was coming to broadway (years ago now) and thought to myself, i really don't know how they are going to pull that off - because, well, there isn't really a lot of action in the play. through a twist of fate my sister and i got tickets to the opening night of previews for dirt cheap and met robert sean leonard after. i confessed to him my initial skepticism and he agreed he felt the same way - but this was stoppard, after all.

i think i benefited from reading it a few times before i saw it, because there are so many layers and textual jokes that fly over your while watching an engaging performance.

the part that sticks with me is the part leigh quoted in her review, and also the image of that day at the track, the blond adoinais sprinting for the finish. sad and glorious at the same time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Love.

Quotes stephanie Liked

Tom Stoppard
“It's where we're nearest to our humanness. Useless knowledge for its own sake. Useful knowledge is good, too, but it's for the faint-hearted, an elaboration of the real thing, which is only to shine some light, it doesn't matter where on what, it's the light itself, against the darkness, it's what's left of God's purpose when you take away God.”
Tom Stoppard, The Invention of Love