April 's Reviews > Portuguese Irregular Verbs

Portuguese Irregular Verbs by Alexander McCall Smith

Jul 18, 2012

Read from June 06 to July 18, 2012

Overall, I found this book to be a fun read by an author whose other books I have thoroughly enjoyed. It is completely different from any of his other series, however, but it was an amusing romp with a very pompous yet likeable professor. Some of the jokes were lost on me, since I believe it's aimed at a slightly different crowd than the one to which I belong (perhaps an older crowd? I'm not sure - or else my sense of humor is not quite where McCall Smith's is).

But as someone whose entire life thus far has been spent in academia of one sort or another (first as a professor's daughter, spending a lot of time whilst growing up on campus, then as a university student, and now as a grad student), I could relate somewhat to the pompous but still likeable protagonist, Professor Dr. Moritz-Maria von Igelfeld, since I have met professors somewhat like him (although not as comedic or therefore as stereotyped) in my time on campus.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a novel chock-full of dry humor, satire, and fun characters. It's a very short book, and like all of McCall Smith's books, very fast reading. I finished it in about 1.5 hours, with a few interruptions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Portuguese Irregular Verbs.