Catherine's Reviews > Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast

Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes by Jamie Oliver

F_50x66
Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading, cooking
Read in January, 2011

When I purchased this book in Australia it was called "30 Minute Meals". I daresay the title is misleading which could well be the reason why it's appearing here under a different name.

This is a book full of appetising recipes and I have cooked several of them with very good outcomes. I consider myself to be an experienced home cook and I have a very well equipped kitchen with all manner of appliances to assist me in the cooking process. Jamie says in the book that you need to have certain essential pieces of equipment in order to be able to make the recipes in 30 minutes. I have the equipment, I have the know how but there is absolutely no chance I'd ever be able to cook these recipes in 30 minutes. In fact I'm not sure I'd manage some of them in 60 minutes. Unless of course, I was highly excitable and hyperactive... like Jamie Oliver I guess.

The recipes jump around all over the place so that the cook can theoretically get the entire meal (usually a main, side dish or entree and dessert) prepared in 30 minutes. It is a bit difficult to follow if you're only making one portion of the meal that appeals to you. In fact the format is a bit hard to follow in general and this is only compounded by the sense of urgency of having 'many pots on the boil'.

However I'd challenge anyone to flick through this book and not find several recipes that appeal to them. The chicken pie, satay chicken skewers and piri piri chicken recipes are casual meals that are absolute standouts taste wise. If you can get past the recipe formats and accept that these meals do take a bit longer than the book would suggest then it's a pretty good book to cook from.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes.