Serena Yates's Reviews > Desert World Allegiances

Desert World Allegiances by Lyn Gala

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: m-m
Read in September, 2011 — I own a copy

This book left me in two minds once I had read it and that makes it difficult to rate.

On the one hand, the alien world the author created is credible, the descriptions are vivid, and I could really see and feel what it would be like to live on Livre, the 'desert world' of this book. The society and its focus on preserving water made sense under the circumstances, even if I found some of the more extreme measures (like slavery as a punishment for water infringements) hard to believe. They didn't make sense to me in the context of a so-called advanced society.

On the other hand, the characters were captivating. Tamar and some of his stupid actions was infuriating, but held my attention. I realy wanted to know what happened to him. His sister was just an idiot for getting him into trouble. But then, he went with her, so he is to blame just as much. The villains were cruel, but so was the so-called council in many ways. Shan, the second main character, didn't start out too strong, but redeemed himself in the end.

For me, this was a very mixed bag with some really good parts, intersting glimpses into human nature and a plot that stretched credibility but fit the rest of the story. The alien world was cool but the inconsistencies and lack of maturity in some of the characters' actions pulled me out of the story.

If you like stories with interesting worlds other than our own, characters who aren't perfect and a plot that largely keeps it all together, you may like this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desert World Allegiances.