Lorraine Ryan's Reviews > Labyrinth

Labyrinth by Louise Gikow

F_50x66
Aug 14, 11

Read in August, 2011

A brilliant read based on the movie created by Jim Henson in the 80’s.
Sarah, a young teenager, was fed up of her younger brother getting all the attention and wished one night the goblins would come and take him away ‘right now’. Within an instance ‘Toby’ was gone and ‘Jareth’, the king of the Goblins allowed Sarah 13 hours to rescue him from the castle at the centre of the labyrinth. The story tells of her journey in to a mythical strange world where she meets various creatures along the way in her pursuit of her baby brother. Will she rescue Toby and bring him home or will he be turned in to a Goblin forever?

The movie I found rather weary however the book stood out to me more due to its amazing illustrations. The pictures took over most of the book and included great detail that wasn't included in the books text. It would help give the children a fuller understanding of the books events. The illustrator also added great interest to the book by using bright and dull colours to depict the mood of the story.

I would recommend this book to children aged 8-10 years. The illustrations would be a great conversation starter within the classroom and would help hold their attention span for longer.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Labyrinth.