Beth's Reviews > Complete without Kids: An Insider's Guide to Childfree Living by Choice or by Chance

Complete without Kids by Ellen L. Walker

Aug 17, 11

bookshelves: kindle, memoir-non-fiction, self-help
Read from August 14 to 15, 2011

This was a free Kindle download on Amazon. I think I would've been pretty upset if I'd paid real money for this. I don't think this can be considered a "guide" to anything, nor is it really written in a self-help format. It seems more like someone's attempt at writing a term paper, with a bunch of citations from personal interviews thrown in. It's all quite disjointed, and the editing is TERRIBLE. I can't tell you how many grammatical and punctuation errors there are in this book! It's like someone hit "ignore all" on the spellcheck and it skipped every instance of the word They, Then, The, That, Through, etc., so that the book has numerous sentences that start with Tey, Ten, Te, Tat, Trough, etc. Very distracting and annoying!

Nonetheless, I found that there were some insightful passages in the book, which is the only reason I'm giving this book 2 stars instead of 1. The casual interviews the author conducted resulted in some overall common themes among various people who are childfree, and I did enjoy and appreciate reading the thoughts of others that so closely mirrored mine. I obviously know that there are others out there who are childfree by choice like I am, but nonetheless, it was validating, in a way, to read about it.

Overall, this book was slightly interesting, but I'm not likely to recommend it to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Complete without Kids.

08/14/2011