Kevin's Reviews > The Old Man and the Sea

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Aug 18, 11

Recommended to Kevin by: Amazon.com
Read on August 18, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Umm, very short 100 page story from Hemingway. An Old Man, whom is a fisherman in Cuba, sets out in a skiff to catch a large fish, as he is feeling lucky that particular day, the day being the eighty fifth since he has caught any good fish. Tragic tale however, and I was just confused to what the analogy of the story contained, or what moral it was telling. The Old Man catches his fish, takes him several days to overcome it (it is 18 foot long), travels some distance as the fish is pulling his skiff along with the line, catches the fish, ties it too the side of his boat and then the sharks come and devour the big catch, leaving nothing but skeleton remains.

It appears as if the Old Man and his fish become a battle of wits, whereby he becomes so arrogant in his determination to catch this fish that he sees the 'battle' as some kind of feat of masculinity and endurance, ends up saying he would pray if he wins, compares his strength to some of his baseball heroes, ends up becoming nostalgic to an extent about his past life and how strong he once was and so on. It then becomes quite ironic that after he has caught the fish, and the sharks start to devour it (it was too big to fit in his boat so he ties it to the side) he starts musing about sin, that it was wrong of him to have killed it. A conflict of morality maybe, as well as a total waste of time.

Its an ok story, nothing really stuck me about it the same way as maybe A Farewell to Arms did, but was ok to read for a couple of hours. Not his finest, either for its prose or its meaning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Old Man and the Sea.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ms Bubbles SockieP Kids come into my bookshop for their summer reading programme and often hit on this book as its so short. But there is no short version of boring and this, to me, deserved 5 stars for boring. I preferred Farewell to Arms (which I only read recently)>

Kevin Yes, its not Hemingways best, is it? An exercise in futility really. A Farewell to Arms is better, much more.

Shovelmonkey1 Aw, I really liked this. Even if I did take the piss a bit in my review.

Kevin You are allowed to do that I find on GoodReads. Its good. It provokes people.

Shovelmonkey1 Yup. Like poking em with a stick. Poke poke.

Kevin Well, you are good at it, as you have much learning (re: Wuthering Heights). Poke poke (and I dont use facebook). Poke.

Shovelmonkey1 Excellent. Another non facebooker. Bah to Facebook. I didn't even watch the Social network such is my bah-humbugness towards it.

Kevin Fucking hate it. Poke.