The Bookologist's Reviews > But I Love Him

But I Love Him by Amanda Grace

Aug 13, 11

bookshelves: arcs-i-own, for-review
Read in August, 2011

With But I Love Him written backwards, Grace perfectly captures the intensity, emotions, and heartbreak that the characters in her story go through. Readers are opened to a different level of compelling issues that Grace has dived into; both physical and emotional abusive relationships, family issues, and losing yourself.

I found Grace's writing extremely powerful, raw, and evoking. Her writing really brought out the emotions within and her prose was brimming with emotional depth. Grace's use of storytelling will help readers understand and truly know the characters. She started from the end, which was when it was the height of the abusive relationship and went backwards from there.

Ann was so trapped with Connor's love. She was always so emotionally and physically down-- she was ultimately broken. I was so gripped, but yet haunted with Ann's story. She's trying to figure out and realize how everything suddenly just went all wrong with her relationship with Connor. And, even though Connor's actions were completely unacceptable, I still felt some sort of sympathy for him because his past is a part of him… and his past was somewhat sort of like Ann's.

Beautifully-written with harsh issues effortlessly tackled by Grace, But I Love Him is a startling but yet remarkable story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read But I Love Him.