Melissa T's Reviews > Heart in the Right Place

Heart in the Right Place by Carolyn Jourdan

Sep 15, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in September, 2011

This was one of those "memoirs" that I'm unclear as to how much of it is fact or fiction. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The stories of this high-class attorney working at a receptionist at her father's doctor's office are hysterical and touching all at the same time. As I read it I came to quote I found profound, and seemed familiar. I realized that I had read it in Erin's review, and the page was very slightly dog-eared. Either I managed to get Erin's same copy from the library, or this quote is just one of the best in the book.

"I thought about how sometimes the ONLY thing we can do for another person is simply pay attention to them. Then it occurred to me this might even be the BEST thing we could ever do for anybody. Maybe the ability to confer attention on another person was not simply common courtesy, but was the fundamental act of humanity?

When it came down to it, all we really ever had to give each other was our attention. Wasn't that what love was? paying self-less attention?"

Another quote I liked, that I certainly identified with:
Her Dad, explaining why he wouldn't want an MRI: "Because nobody's normal. You don't want to know what's not right in your brain or your heart or your kidneys. So if you don't let anybody look, you can't find out. You can remain in blissful ignorance....I'm all for making the diagnosis, but there's an awful lot of harmless abnormality that we're better off staying unaware of."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart in the Right Place.