Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)'s Reviews > Broken: A Paranormal Romance

Broken by David H. Burton

Aug 17, 11

Read from August 13 to 14, 2011

For years Katherine has been seeing things, things her mother ends up taking her to numerous doctors for. The doctors conclude it’s a mental issue, shes hallucinating when she sees these things and medicates her to the gills. Katherine ends up living with a roomate, one she never sees but she sees a lot of her roomies brother Chris. Chris brings Katherine a plant, and the hallucinations start up again. She is pretty sure it is medication withdrawl and not the death of her mother, three months earlier, causing this.

Katherine receives a letter in the mail from her mother, again three months after her death. The letter has a key to a safe deposit box and in it a letter that says her family is cursed. On her fathers side, no one makes it past their 25th birthday…the letter arrives days before Katherine’s birthday. With the help of Chris, Katherine embarks on a journey to find out why and stop it before it’s too late.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed Broken. I’d be remiss not to mention that Broken is a self published novel, but rest assured not only is it beautifully written and engaging, it’s wonderfully edited. The world building was fabulous and the characters were engaging right down to the big bad. I fell in love with Chris & Brokk, the little hallucination person.

There’s also a little bit of a love triangle going on, Jonathan was Katherine’s first love and she still isn’t over the way he left the relationship. And she has just started a new relationship with Chris, but ends up finding out some things that make her question the wisdom of even staying in this new relationship.

My only issue was the lack of closure with Katherine’s roomate, after finding out about Chris we never hear anything about the roomate. Was she really his sister? I am also wondering if this book is the start of a series, because I felt we need more about Jonathan after the events. It just felt like there was something unfinished, and I want more!

Broken is a wonderfully written fairy tale meets modern world.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

08/13/2011