Kathleen's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Aug 17, 11

Read from August 13 to 17, 2011

At first glance, I thought that Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children would be a horror story, and I do love a good book that can scare the daylights out of me, but when I started to read the book, I realized that the storyline was from the fantasy genre which I admit is not one of my favorites. That being said, I thought the first half of the book was strange, as in really weird! Trying to follow the author's direction with the storyline was a bit slow for me, it just couldn't hold my attention and I kept thinking about not finishing it. What kept me wanting to go the distance and finish the book were the freakishly bizarre photos of the "peculiar" children and the letters that are interspersed throughout the book, they were so intriguing that I knew I had to suck it up and continue. I am so glad that I did continue, because once I got into the middle of the storyline where Jacob meets Miss Peregrine and the children, the twists and turns and the suspense had me hooked! That is when I realized that this book may be from the fantasy genre, but it had so many characteristics of a horror book, that it fulfilled the scare ratio for me. The author does quite a good job of weaving a story of time travel with a mixture of a freak show via the "peculiar children" and a touch of murder and mayhem thrown in too. There is only two things that disappointed me: first, if you read this book on the Kindle, the photographs and letters are not really clear enough, so consider buying the hardcover or paperback editions; second, the ending left the reader hanging with no closure, perhaps the author is writing a sequel that will continue the story ... only time will tell.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.

08/17/2011

Maria Can't wait to see what you thought of this book! I know someone who just read it and gave 5 stars. Its on my tbr.

Kathleen It is a strange book, I am halfway through it and I wouldn't give it 5 stars.

Melinda Completely agree with your review!

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider I've seen it highly recommended and I've seen it...kinda get the confused treatment. It must be one of those polarizing books!

Kathleen Thank you Melinda, I appreciate it! :) Maria, I think you are right, it does seem to be one of those polarizing books.

message 6: by Genie (new)

Genie Barker pedestrian writing
Boring

not for anyone looking for literature