Susan (susayq ~)'s Reviews > Wraith

Wraith by Phaedra Weldon

May 15, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ebooks, 2012books, 1st-in-series, mystery, paranormal-everything-else
Read from May 10 to 15, 2012

1.5 stars.

Huh? What the hell happened here? Yep, that was my reaction as I finished this book. Let me do a little recap of this book...Zoe can astral travel (her soul leaves her body and she "snoops" on people for her job). She gets this job, but blows it off cause she feels some "oogey" around this building. She goes to check it out against her better judgement and sees someone get their soul sucked away by what she later finds out is a Symbiont. Zoe gets another job, this time to snoop on a meeting between the dead guy's boss and a cop. Zoe almost gets eaten by a smokey dragon. Zoe gets kidnapped, more than once. Zoe gets choked almost to death, more than once. The cop falls for her, she falls for the cop. Zoe gets more oogey feelings. I just can't go on....this is how the book read to me. The final straw was the end where I was COMPLETELY LOST!!! Come to find out, the bad guy wasn't who she thought it was and she made a deal with the "one who the devil is afraid of" and bargained her soul in doing it. Then she sees some bartender (that she met once) in a bathroom stall boinking a nurse in the hospital. ???

I found Zoe to be immature(she's 28) and really dense. How many times must she be nearly killed for her to learn to stay away from the people and places she keeps going to? I did NOT like Zoe's mother...she trapped Zoe's soul inside a dragon and at one point was holding her daughter at gunpoint so one of her friend's could see if she was possessed by demons, and her mother explained later she knew Zoe wasn't.

At about 90% of the book, I was enjoying it...for about 1 chapter. That's where it got the half star and not just 1 star. Sadly, I spent the last 3 days reading this (hello? It should have clued me in that it took me 3 days to read this). Maybe I'm in a reading funk and just didn't get it. It's quite possible someone else may read this and really enjoy it. I didn't.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wraith.

05/13
27.0% "This is starting to pick up."
05/14
54.0% "Gah. I'm having a hard time with this one."
05/14
69.0% "Doesn't she know when to stop? I'm thinking she's TSTL"
05/15