Pamela 's Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

** spoiler alert ** After reading so many rave reviews, I was looking forward to reading this book. However, it took me like four days to finally complete it as I found it absolutely BORING. I wanted to surrender and give up, but I told myself to keep going, that things will get better, or at least pick up. No such luck.

There were so many things that were just not believable. As another person mentioned, they let Christine leave the Waring House with her "husband" without checking credentials? To not even have doctors from the Waring House call to follow up with her progress? Her own son not even contact her once or try to find her? Her best friend in the whole world just accepting whatever convoluted crap is thrown her way? To not find out what's really going on? I don't think so. Yet, we're to believe that Christine is able to leave the premise of her supposed home everytime the good doctor calls to see her? Yeah, right.

Except for the so-called suspenseful twist (we all know there was one coming), which I thought to be interesting, even though crazy, I found the entire book leading up to it to be very slow and tiresome. After Christine is rescued and learns the truth, the story once again falls flat as it ends abruptly that you kind of think to yourself, "That's it?"

As for the characters, I didn't like any of them, not even Christine. I kept asking myself "How can Ben not know she's writing in a journal?" I mean, what did he think she was going to do all day by herself? I'm sorry, but for Christine to just accept every morning what's told to her without proper investigation? No, not realistic at all. Not to mention, if you have memory loss and you've written the words "DON'T TRUST BEN" in your journal, not to mention the entries that states the many lies Ben has told, you'd think she'd take the opportunity when Ben left for work to run to the police or just leave. As for her doctor, I thought he was an idiot.

I know there are a lot of readers who loved this book. Who am I to judge? To each their own. Regardless, I'm actually surprised that I finished this book and boy, was I ever glad when I got to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lorraine I did like this book I gave it four star, but I agree with you 100% and your review made me laugh thanks

Lorraine

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz Jordan Totally agree. It all made very little sense to me.

Did I miss the bit where Dr Nash explains how he befriended Christine? I don't know. It all got lost in the implausible haze.