Jessi's Reviews > A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: fairy-tales, ireland, its-been-emotional, hey-ya
Read in December, 2011

I have been wanting to read this since it exploded on my Goodreads feed a few months ago, the fantastic reviews from Goodreads friends were endless, the cover was gorgeous and intriguing. But this book made me cry a LOT. I am an emotional person, embarrassingly so, I could feel my control on my shit loosening as the book went on, Conor so strong, the monster scary but wise ... I can't...too soon. For reals I am a mess, I get that some people will read this and think "what a touching book,so well done" and be done with it. These people are robots with no available emotions, shame really.

To be truthful I cry a lot in general. Just this week not including Christmas emotions the tears have been plentiful, my brother wanted to see the film Warrior at the cinema so I went with him (fantastic film by the way) anyway by the end there was such a touching moment I was crying so much and sniffling my brother was glaring at me and then left from the opposite exit to avoid being seen with the crazy girl. I received for Xmas Adele's DVD
Photobucket
(I realize my flash has made it look like there is some sort of holy light coming from Adele's crotch, a trick of the camera I assure you)

I cried no less then 5 times while viewing this concert. She is lovely though.
Did you guys see BBC's Life? There was the story of the mother octopus and I can't even talk about it without getting misty. That was just this week and its only Wednesday!
Also when I cry it is not some Demi Moore one tear shit(does that ever happen?) no if Jessi cries when Jessi cries it is loud, dramatic, there will most likely be some heaving and ...snot (sorry). So needless to say the last half of this book was not pretty, not pretty at all or particularly quiet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Trudi I had brought this book to work and was reading it in our staff room on my break. I was nearing the end and I could feel the sobs clenched in my throat clambering to be let loose. I had to rush to the bathroom and finish it in the privacy of a stall. Brutal.

Great review Jessi :)

Jessi Thanks, that is the worst I cannot read sad or funny at work. As well as a cryer I am a giggler as well. first two paragraphs of Tina Fey's Bossypants I had the whole building distracted with my cackles.

message 3: by Canoeu (new) - added it

Canoeu This is why I am not sure I really want to read this book. I don't like sad books b/c they stay with me for days.

Jessi Canoeu wrote: "This is why I am not sure I really want to read this book. I don't like sad books b/c they stay with me for days."
It was not depressing sad, it was just sad and it is beautifully written , always if there is a wee boy crying in anything I am instantly devastated and sob accordingly.

Shauna The podcast of that's up on itunes you know. I was so grateful, skint as I am. I'm sorry to miss the 'holy light' though. :P

Jessi Shauna wrote: "The podcast of that's up on itunes you know. I was so grateful, skint as I am. I'm sorry to miss the 'holy light' though. :P"
LOL!!! I took that pic 3 times each more holier the last, obvs. the voice isn't the only thing sent straight from heaven :) lol

message 7: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Your holy camera flash may have predicted adele's pregnancy!

Jessi Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "Your holy camera flash may have predicted adele's pregnancy!"

Can you imagine the album we will get after this kid is born, Rolling in the deep style tune about judgy mums at the park...EPIC

message 9: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Indeed - i'm sure the highly emotive song about the stay-at-home water birth will make it to number 1

Jessi Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "Indeed - i'm sure the highly emotive song about the stay-at-home water birth will make it to number 1"

Its Adele, I'd buy it :)