Kimball's Reviews > For Whom the Bell Tolls

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

U_50x66
Aug 19, 11

Read in August, 2011

This was a tough one to rate, I was torn to go both higher and lower. I love Hemingway for his realistic writing style and his true unforced character development. This book was no exception in both regards. But the book did disappoint in a few ways and was probably my least favorite of all his writings (Old Man and the Sea being a favorite).

It started off well, with his raw words painting a very realistic picture. But the story really slowed as he diverged into flashback after flashback. For awhile it was very slow, and I became somewhat disinterested. For awhile it was so gruesome I almost stopped. (though after finding out more about the Spanish Civil War online, I realized he was just painting a very real picture, as that war was extremely brutal and personal) It requires a very mature audience.

In the end, I finished it, and I'm glad I did. It picked up quite a bit, and his writing was superb. The ending was also quite good. So I was torn...but three stars fits it, and I am glad I read it (and learned of the Donne poem for which the title is based).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Whom the Bell Tolls.