Inez Kelley's Reviews > Magdalene

Magdalene by Moriah Jovan

Aug 13, 11

I adored this book. I never thought I would find a Mormon Bishop sexy but I did!

Cassie irritated the hell out of me halfway through the book but she was supposed to. Her unreliable narrator stance made me want to shake her but Mitch never wavered in his values or beliefs, in his religion or in Cassie. And that gave her the strength to grow. They were real and vivid and not carbon copies of sterotypes. I wanted Mitch to bend, to cave, to give into his desire but he didn't because that wasn't who he was. He was a devout man who fell in love but never strayed from his faith. And when his world was rocked like the Titanic, Cassie was his life raft.

The Mormom culture is foreign to me, outside my scope of experience. But Jovan's insights and explanations walked me through it, explained the mythos to me in a way that didn't bore me to tears. Much like a historical, I trusted a Mormon author to show me her world and she did it in ways that made sense to me, someone outside that culture. It wasn't a preachy story or a YOU WILL GO TO HELL tale, it was an honest glimpse into a world I had no experience with.

Te book is long and involved and twisted and frank and I read the entire thing in 2 days. Plus I walked away feeling richer for having read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magdalene.