Alexandria Nicole's Reviews > Sweep: Volume 1

Sweep by Cate Tiernan

Oct 19, 11

bookshelves: fiction, paranormal, romance, ya, witches
Read from October 13 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy

Book One
The characters are a little hard to get to know. I can't really get connected to them and I'm SO confused as to why Morgan is completely infatuated with Cal besides his good looks. He seems really sweet but honestly, he doesn't have much personality. It's almost like he just obsesses over Wicca and that about sums up his life.
Of course he's attracted to Morgan but I wish I could see more emotion from him. When we do see it, it's almost out of the blue.
The book is also a little too descriptive for me. I like to use my imagination so I don't want everything described. And I don't want to know everyones names, especially if we aren't going to meet them again.
It is interesting to learn about the Wicca stuff though. It almost reminds me of The House of Night Series by P.C. and Kristin Cast.

Book Two
I can't understand how Morgan already feels so strongly about Cal. I mean all she talks about really is his good looks. Why else does she like him?

Book Three
The text keeps repeating itself. Like we forgot what happened 100 pages ago so we keep needed reminded. This even bothers me when authors do this from one book to another, I understand there's technically 3 books in this paperback, but lets get real, it's one book, therefore, no need to recite info.

Overall, the story was just ok. The characters were different and not bad, but I didn't fall in love with them. My friend started reading it right after I was done and she's hooked, but I wasn't. I'll probably continue the book but just because I'm curious and already have them. I'm hoping the series gets better! It's not all together awful, just don't think it was one for me to love.

On a side note I also had a lot of trouble understanding where the text in the beginning of the chapters always came from. Since they were different characters it confused me a little and I didn't think it was always necessary. Unless they are foreshadowing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweep.

10/13/2011 page 230
10/16/2011 page 396
67.0% "Getting better!"

Dana Morgan’s strong infatuation with Cal stems from the face that she is very self conscious. Other than her intellect, she feels slightly inferior in looks to all of the main women in her life; mom, sister and BFF Bree. When someone thinks poorly of their looks, especially a girl, it is only natural that they would feel honoured to have attention from the one desire of every other girl at school!

As for the repetitive nature of the beginning of each book… You're actually reading a modern compellation of the books which have been around individually for many years. They created the 3 in 1 volume to entice new readers and increase sales for past readers who collect all editions on this series.

The fact that you say it reminds you of the house of night is laughable since this series has been available since about 2000-2001. House of Night's Marked was published in 2007.

Also, the excerpts at the beginning of the chapters tie into the entire story... almost as if people from the past are made the same mistakes, or we are learning about how Wicca was viewed historically from different character perspectives. Give it another shot! I've read many YA series and they don't even come close to how great this one is. Even Tiernan's recent work has been subpar for me compared to Sweep!

Happy reading....