Tara's Reviews > Waterfall

Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4615387
's review
May 21, 12

bookshelves: not-for-kids-only, past-and-present-collide, unfinished, urban-fantasy-paranormal
Recommended for: Little girls with big dreams.

DNF. This has to go down as one of the silliest, if not the silliest novel ever written in the history of YA fiction! Our 17 year old heroine finds herself in midst of a medieval battle after travelling back in time and what does she do?? She falls crazy in LUST with the first guy she sets eyes on. "I was in the middle of a real battle. Men were wounded or dying. I glanced left and saw that one wasn't battling any longer; instead he stared at me as if I were a female Lazarus. I wanted to look away from him but I couldn't. He was the most handsome guy I'd ever seen, with a model's physique and a face to match...a serious hottie!!" I mean WTF???? Unfortunately, things only continue to go downhill from there. She suddenly becomes fluent in Latin and Italian. She can ride, fence and has no problem whatsoever in reciting ancient poetry and to top it all off she even possesses a great deal of medical knowledge!



Come on people, get real! ;-)



Photobucket


OMG..HE IS SUCH A HOTTIE!!

Photobucket


SUCKED..BIG TIME!!.
125 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waterfall.
sign in »

Reading Progress

08/29/2011 page 52
15.0%
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-50 of 53) (53 new)


message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt That's it. I've taken this off my to read.


Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* That bad huh? Think III remove from my TBR list one star's I wont even bother.


message 4: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara oh now I feel bad!! I didn't mean to ruin it for you guys!! :-/


Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Nah..you saved us some $$$.. on to better reads..


heather ♥ I was waiting for her to discover the cure for cancer. In the 14th century. Hey its Gabi, it could happen!


message 7: by Tara (last edited Sep 22, 2011 02:48AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara well, she treated Marcello's brother, didn't she?? She was awfully good!! :-)


message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky B Whew, that was close.... I almost added this book to my list. Enough of these already! Thanks for saving me!


Vanesa I just finished this book and everytime Gabi started riding horses, speaking in Italian dialect and more I will think about your review...Yes I agree the author made things wayyyy to perfect for this girl and it seems is going to be the same way for the sister. I'm going to keep reading the second book and see how it goes from there. I honestly think the only reason I keep reading is for Luca.


message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele Oh thank goodness...you just saved me....this was seriously on my Amazon wishlist! Just deleted it faster than you can say "Merry Christmas"! Thanks!


message 11: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Greenfield Even in fantasy fiction, you need your characters to be somewhat believable. This gal seems to have more going for her than a comic book superhero, all of whom actually exist!

Great, straight, true to your heart and mind review Tara. Thanks.


message 12: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Thanks Lance!!! :-)


Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Ugh, Mary Sues are boring. Why do authors keep foisting such paragons of perfection on readers? >:P

I don't know about anyone else, but if I found myself on a medieval battlefield, the terror and smells of blood and guts and gore would tie my bowels in a knot and I'd be shell-shocked. Not looking for hot male flesh to perv over.


message 14: by Tara (last edited Dec 06, 2011 12:12PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara HAHA..oh my god, you should read this Karla!! The heroine is a total bimbo yet somehow she always manages to excel in everything she does!! I just cant understand for the life of me why everyone keeps rating it 4-5 stars???


Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I doubt I'd get too far. The heroine sounds like so many of the Mary Sues in fanfiction that make me flail for the back button after a couple paragraphs!


Tracey Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: " guts and gore would tie my bowels in a knot and I'd be shell-shocked. Not looking for hot male flesh to perv over. ..."

Nice ;-)


message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wow - does she really say "Serious Hottie"??? Thanks for saving me from this one. I just got halfway through one like this. I couldn't get through to the end. I didn't even care.


Hylary Locsin Awww come on. She travels back in time, of course it's going to be hokey!


Tracey hey now... that's not fair LOL


message 20: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara LOOOOL...So you finally noticed it, huh??.:-D


Tracey i got an email from GR. i only want my name attached to 4 stars or better HaHa :)


message 22: by Tara (last edited Feb 01, 2012 11:49AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Now you are being just way too greedy T..:-))


Tracey my bad, but it feels good to be greedy


message 24: by Ab (new)

Ab Wait, she was in the middle of the battle and not killed?! That is not fair :-D


message 25: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Nope..She was too busy acting stupid!!


Shantelle Mary I think you guys need to get more opinions than just one.


message 27: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Eugenie wrote: "Tara wrote: "HAHA..oh my god, you should read this Karla!! The heroine is a total bimbo yet somehow she always manages to excel in everything she does!! I just cant understand for the life of me wh..."

Well, that's my opinion anyway and I'm sticking to it!! If you don't like that, than that's your problem.;-)


Tracey I see Gabi more as a modern day
joan-of-arc


.....gosh does this mean she is going to be burned at the stake ;-D


message 29: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Hahahahahhaha..Good one T!! :-D


message 30: by Rosa (new) - rated it 1 star

Rosa LLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLL!!


Katherine Bennett K so.... I just finished reading this series for my second time and I loved it!!!!! I agree the author made it a little to perfect, but can't life have a little bit of that! This is a fiction book for a reason, things like this DON'T happen, but I think sometimes you experience love at first sight and find someone who you think is perfect! This book is a little cheesy and silly, but overall I consider it a book worth reading! It shows how society was back then and what I really love is how much character Marcello has! He is what a gentleman is. He has honor and not just because he is a lord, but because he knows how to treat women and others. If you think it's too cheesy maybe you shouldn't be reading books for 11-14 year olds....


message 32: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Thanks for the advice!!


Bethany Hi people(:
I'd just like to say the author of this review has some very valid facts that I definitely agree with, but really it is yes a fiction book as stated above so it's quite unreal yet it's still beautiful.
In these books Lisa Bergren has weaved some history into the story so you don't quite realise your learning while reading fiction.
Obviously everyone has different taste and some may not enjoy this series, but I recommend you at least give the first book a go. Hopefully you enjoy it despite some of the silliness.(:
Personally I love this series, it's short but sweet.
So please give it a go(:

Sincerely
Bethany :)


message 34: by Perelandra (new)

Perelandra Thanks for the head's up. Sounds utterly ridiculous!


message 35: by Kai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai If you read the book properly it's not all about romance. It's also historical and quite feminist as well. You shouldn't judge the book because of that part so easily I mean a girl like Gabi who hasn't had her first kiss would probably think that way on any circumstance.


Shantelle Mary Bethany wrote: "Hi people(:
I'd just like to say the author of this review has some very valid facts that I definitely agree with, but really it is yes a fiction book as stated above so it's quite unreal yet it's ..."


Thanks for this comment, :) I agree with you, and also think the series is very sweet and interesting.


Emily Olson Why must readers instantly turn away from a book when they see that it recieved a 1 star from one single person? Hasn't there ever been a book that you have loved only to see it receive a 1 star rating among the other higher ratings? It sickens me the amount of people turning away when they see a poor rating and instantly forget the hundreds of excellent 5 star ratings.
This book kept me on edge during my vacation this spring break. I often found myself lost in medieval Italy in the 1300's rather than in my swimming pool. The way the author wrote made me feel as if I was there, or watching a movie. Everytime I went to go read I told my mom that I was going to go watch a movie. This book was amazing and I even found myself squealing on the airplane while reading. I urge you to pick this book up and get lost in the world with Gabi just like I did.


message 38: by Michele (new)

Michele Emily wrote: "Why must readers instantly turn away from a book when they see that it recieved a 1 star from one single person? Hasn't there ever been a book that you have loved only to see it receive a 1 star ra..."

Emily, I don't automatically turn away from a book with a 1 star review. I do automatically turn away from a book with a 1 star review written by a friend who has similar reading tastes as mine. As to stars and reviews, I disregard all 1 stars and all 5 stars automatically when they are written by people I do not know. Long experience has taught me that the 2 through 4 star margin most often paints the honest picture.


Shantelle Mary Emily wrote: "Why must readers instantly turn away from a book when they see that it recieved a 1 star from one single person? Hasn't there ever been a book that you have loved only to see it receive a 1 star ra..."

I agree, Emily! That's how I felt too. People... please give this book a chance! :)


message 40: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Totally agree! I don't want to write a review for a book I haven't finished so I've stayed away. But it was so cheesy and silly that I couldn't even make it through the first half, and it kills me not to finish a book! The heroine is what completely killed it for me. I probably could have pushed through the other stuff if she hadn't been so annoying.


message 41: by Rosa (last edited Apr 14, 2013 07:29PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Rosa Katherine wrote: "K so.... I just finished reading this series for my second time and I loved it!!!!! I agree the author made it a little to perfect, but can't life have a little bit of that! This is a fiction book..."
Oh gosh, well, let me start of with how you say this shows you how life was life back in the good old days. HAHAHA good one. because you must be shitting with me. Do you want me to send you a book that actually speaks about society that time (because clearly you nor the author has read one) because back then was riddled with disease, murder, stupidity (most people where too religious and not educated nearly enough) constant death (shorter life expectancy), brutal abuse of hygiene, and not to mention misogynistic views,which means that this super chick would not have been recognized as a hero, rather hated as a witch or some shit. They would have killed her (saving me the emotional trauma of knowing she exists...in book form...somehow...). Damn lazy authors.


message 42: by Rosa (last edited Apr 14, 2013 07:31PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Rosa Mary wrote: "Emily wrote: "Why must readers instantly turn away from a book when they see that it recieved a 1 star from one single person? Hasn't there ever been a book that you have loved only to see it recei..."

I did give it a chance. And it sucked nevertheless.


message 43: by Michele (new)

Michele Rosa wrote: "They would have killed her (saving me the emotional trauma of knowing she exists...in book form...somehow...). Damn lazy authors."

*laughing so hard just about peed* That was awesome.


message 44: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Rosa wrote: "Katherine wrote: "K so.... I just finished reading this series for my second time and I loved it!!!!! I agree the author made it a little to perfect, but can't life have a little bit of that! This..."

LOOOOL..you go girl!! :-D


Salyna I don't want to be rude, but I do want to say something. This book may not be for everyone, I understand that, but please don't take it off you TBR shelf because of one bad review. I used to hate reading, more like loathed it with a passion. But this is the series that finally got me into reading and I read all the time now! I loved this series and I would recommend it to anyone. I am not a little girl either. I am 17, my older sister who is 19 has read them and loved them, and my Mom has read the first two and really liked them too. No, I'm not an adult and I can see how less adults would like it, but still, please don't take it off you TBR shelf for one bad review that you have read.


message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

i think the total opposite of your review...i loved this book as a teenager it was very interesting and and great romantic novel. you guys should still give it a try...its great!!!


Jodie I loved this book and this author, and it's not a type of book you would think is cheesy, the author did a lot of work making this including trying to make it realistic by doing her research so........


Pink14 You basicly just stated everything about this book. You never mentioned WHY you didn't like it. I happen to think the total opposite of your review.


Steph Well, fiction isn't all ABOUT being real. Don't you know the difference between a review and a rant? This isn't a review.


message 50: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Someone's opinion about something is a review. I happen to feel the same way about the book, which is why I couldn't even finish the stupid thing. And I hate leaving things unfinished! Just because someone disagrees with you, or doesn't like a single thing about the book, does not mean its not a review...


« previous 1
back to top