Julie's Reviews > Royal Assassin

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended to Julie by: Bryon
Recommended for: EVERYONE
Read in January, 2003

I'm not sure I can say enough to convey my love for these books. Starting with Assassin's Apprentice, they tell the story of FitzChivalry Farseer, bastard pseudo-prince of the Farseer line (with a detour to Bingtown in the Ship books, but read them anyway - it's important). One thing I love about these books is how people are named after personality traits: Chivalry, Verity, Shrewd, Regal, Patience, Modesty.... etc. After a while you completely forget they aren't just names. :)

Robin Hobb's writing style is *marvelous.* She writes very eloquently, using a sophisticated vocabulary but never in a way that sounds pretentious. She describes her characters so vividly, and examines their feelings and reactions with such a sympathetic eye, that you can't help but feel for them. Fitz in particular is a human character, sometimes painfully so. And believe me, when you invest the reading of 9 books into someone, you really care what happens to them. I laughed out loud, and cried very hard at times. They're just wonderful. I'd recommend them for anyone at all, but probably most for fantasy fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Assassin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

☆ Becky ☆ I loved these books. If I didn't have so many books to read, I'd read them over and over.

Lucy You echo my sentiments exactly, they really are perfection! I love the characters, they have a special place in my heart! Did you know that Hobb is in the process of writing a new trilogy, The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy, and the first one comes out next year? That news made my year!

Julie Yes! My husband and I were super excited to hear that. We have pushed these books on so many people we actually own a complete second set for lending purposes.