Sheri Salatin's Reviews > Dance of the Dandelion

Dance of the Dandelion by Dina L. Sleiman

1957523
Oct 05, 11

Read from October 03 to 05, 2011

It's true, you should never judge a book by its cover. This one was no exception to that rule. When I first opened the book, I expected a light hearted, fluffy read.

I was wrong.

The story opens with and follows Dandelion Dering, a young girl on the verge of womanhood, who hopes and dreams for a better life than the one she has been born to. Full of life, song and dance, she is like the sea that cannot be tamed. Her decisions and life's road lead her to paths yet uncharted from a castle to the open seas to a convent. Dandelion is ever seeking. What she is searching for, she doesn't really know, but she does know that she wants passion, fulfillment and love. The story is one of profound heartache and joys.

When I closed the book, I felt an immense measure of contemplation. Thoughtfulness about God and His love and life and it's meanings. Questions I had to ask myself after reading this book were one such as, 'Is passion wrong?' and 'What is love?'.

Some of the things I read in this story were a bit shocking and I definitely would not recommend it for young readers. Contrary to the cover art, it is a serious book leaving me with much to think over.

Written as first person, Dina Sleiman did an excellent job of making the reader feel as though she were a part of Dandelion herself. Very well written and quite amazing for a debut novel.

The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars is because I can't recommend it to every young reader out there. However, for mature audiences, go for it. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance of the Dandelion.

10/04/2011 page 118
40.0% "Not at all what I expected by the cover. It's interesting so far."
10/05/2011 page 296
100.0% "trying to process and digest everything I just read. wow."