Denise's Reviews > Flame of Surrender

Flame of Surrender by Rhiannon Paille

Aug 29, 2011

liked it
Read in August, 2011

Flame of Surrender (The Ferryman and the Flame #1)
by Rhiannon Paille (Goodreads Author)

Synopsis from Goodreads:

"The boy who follows death meets the girl who could cause the apocalypse.

Krishani thinks he’s doomed until he meets Kaliel, the one girl on the island of Avristar who isn’t afraid of him. She’s unlike the other girls, she swims with merfolk, talks to trees and blooms flowers with her touch. What he doesn’t know is that she’s a flame, one of nine individually hand crafted weapons, hidden in the body of a seemingly harmless girl.

Nobody has fallen in love with a flame until now. She becomes Krishani’s refuge from the dreams of death and the weather abilities he can’t control. Striking down thousand year old trees with lightning isn’t something he tries to do, it just happens. When the Ferryman dies, Krishani knows that he’s the next and that a lifetime of following death is his destiny.

And Kaliel can’t come with him. The Valtanyana are hunting the flames, the safest place for her is Avristar. Krishani can’t bear to leave her, and one innocent mistake grants the Valtanyana access to their mystical island. They’re coming for Kaliel, and they won’t stop until every last living creature on Avristar is dead. She has to choose, hide, face them, or awaken the flame and potentially destroy herself."

Flame of Surrender was given to me by the author requesting my honest opinion and review and I found it was an interesting foray into a different and very unique world; the writing was beautiful and world building well done. The book is pure fantasy and full of wonderful beings, conspiracies, surprise twists, and hard decisions to be made. There were characters that I really enjoyed and others that I wanted to smack upside the head and shake screaming at them to wake up. I really wanted to like this book and wanted to like the primary characters and while I did not dislike them, they made me sad. I found the entire story tragic and sad. I know that the story will appeal to many as the mythology is very original and interesting, it just was too sad for me.

Denise Z
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flame of Surrender.