Jenna 's Reviews > The Summer of Skinny Dipping

The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells

Aug 13, 11

Read in July, 2011

I don't like the cover. It's a skinny girl (showing a body from shoulders down) running on the sand. Mia struggles with having a bigger body in the book. It's like someone heard the word beach and picked out a random picture to put with the book. Of course they didn't have time to read it first or consult with the author.

This was worth the read because it made me emotional. I couldn't put it down.

But that only happened after about 50-60 pages. This was the most disappointing thing for me about the whole book. I kept telling myself, "Just a little more, this has to get better!" I'm glad I stuck it out.

The other thing about the beginning that I noticed was a lot of repetition, as far as repeated words or descriptions (eye color and ocean was often described with the word gray in front of it - gray-blue or gray-green, three mentions of things being compared to a ship wreck). In regards to her ex-boyfriend, she went over and over the same thoughts like she didn't fully understand them the first time. The past tense narration became confusing at times because of all the hads popping up everywhere, some in places that didn't make sense.

However, the romance in this book is amazing! I felt tingles at some of the couple's special moments together. Good romantic suspense details. I wish I had a summer romance like that during my 16th year of life!

The dialogue between Mia and Simon is perfect. I love that he quotes books like The Great Gatsby. I also like that Mia is interested in science. There's a refreshing female character! I learned a lot about black holes and phosphorence in the ocean, courtesy of Mia.

As someone who has not been to the Hamptons, I loved the descriptions of the islands and longed to be at the same beaches as the characters.

I can't ruin the ending for you. If you have time on a beach or by a pool, this goes really fast after you get into it-- especially after she meets Simon, who doesn't care what anyone else thinks.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer of Skinny Dipping.