Louise's Reviews > The Homecoming of Samuel Lake

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield

Aug 13, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in August, 2011

I absolutely loved this book and couldn’t put it down. For a debut novel, Jenny Wingfield has penned a winner!

The story opens in Columbia County, Arkansas, in 1956. The entire extended Moses clan have gathered for their annual reunion. John and Calla Moses have been hosting this reunion for years. The majority of family members live close-by with the exception of John and Calla’s daughter, Willadee, who lives down in Louisianna. She is married to Samuel Lake, a preacher of the Methodist religion which does not sit well with old John. He sees the Methodists as: “…the vilest bunch of bandits alive”.

Samuel and Willadee have three children: twelve-year-old Noble, nine-year-old Bienville, and eleven-year-old Swan Lake.” Three precocious children who were adept at keeping themselves entertained playing war games and spying on people.

Calla ran a store from the front of the house where folks could purchase the staples of everyday life. Her store was open from dawn to dusk. John, not one to be outdone, opened a bar at the back of the house and was open dusk to dawn with a sign that said: “Moses Never Closes”.

The family reunion is going along fine until tragedy strikes throwing the family into chaos. Although the rural setting appears picturesque, there are many failings in the characters.

Swan Lake is an absolute fearless eleven-year-old and was compared to Scout in the movie ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’. Although fearless she is chocked full of kindness, generosity and love. Her eight-year-old neighbour, Blade Ballenger is a character that you are totally going to fall in love with and if you’re like me, you’ll be rooting for someone to save him from his horrifying father and indifferent mother.

This is an emotionally charged book that, at one point, had me sobbing like a baby! I could easily see this novel becoming a classic someday. Ms. Wingfield is an up and coming author to watch for.

************REVIEW COPY COURTESY OF NETGALLEY, WITH THANKS!*****************

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Homecoming of Samuel Lake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Readingmomma (new)

Readingmomma I can't wait to read this book now thanks for the great review.

Louise Oh, you're quite welcome. I'm glad my review has enticed you to read the book because it really was a wonderful, wonderful story! You won't forget this family for quite some time when you're done.

Let me know how you liked it when you've done.

Louise

message 3: by Readingmomma (new)

Readingmomma Now I have to find it. I can't wait to start it.

Louise Good luck, but it shouldn't be too hard to find, I'm sure.

Cheers!
Louise

message 5: by Dem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dem I am reading this book and really enjoying it.

Louise Oh, I'm so glad that you're enjoying the book!!