Daniel's Reviews > The Sea of Monsters

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Aug 13, 11

bookshelves: childrens-books, scifi-fantasy, young-adult
Read in July, 2011

I have to admit that I really had no desire to read any more in this series, but my two youngest children (12 and 14) absolutely love the books and want to talk about them, so...

This book seemed just a little better than the first one in the series, but I still found it to be slow -- which is interesting since there's a lot of 'action' taking place.

I enjoyed the sections with the hippocampi, and the little mystery happening with the former camper Luke is intriguing but never settled through the course of the book.

I still find it more than a little annoying that the reader is given Greek mythology through the fact that Percy is an idiot and everyone he meets needs to say, "Don't you know... the _______ are the children of ________ and their special power is ______?" It seems to happen every time.

Still not my favorite series, but I'm glad my children are finding something that they enjoy reading, and as long as they want to talk about the books, I will read some more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Monsters.