Chris's Reviews > The Celestine Prophecy

The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield

Oct 15, 11

Read from August 13 to 16, 2011

The first time I heard of this James Redfield book was in our English 13 class. We came across a paragraph which talks about “synchronicity”. Though I forgot the rest of that paragraph, I could remember that it explicitly mentioned this book’s name.

It was not until our psychology class months after that when I heard of this book again. Our psychology teacher told us how great this book is and advised us to read it. He even showed us his copy. The book was “The Celestine Prophecy”.

This book is about a nameless protagonist in search of nine insights to life itself from an ancient manuscript found in Peru. It starts with the protagonist meeting an old friend, Charlene, who just came from Peru, telling him about the manuscript. Left curious about its contents, he sets forth on a journey to Peru where he later found himself caught in a life-and-death chase. In his quest, the nameless protagonist meets persons who coincidentally are important in making him grasp the insights.

I really had high hopes for this book but when I started reading the first ten pages, I knew I was wrong. In the cover, the book says it is an adventure, but I would not call it an adventure at all.I remember the time I bought it, I finished three chapters and then I stopped. Two months later, I resumed the reading and I tell you, I really struggled to finish it.

I found “The Celestine Prophecy” to be more of a book of doctrine than a novel. The book is overloaded with what Redfield is trying to teach his readers. The dialogues are excessively long that you will find it already unrealistic. In addition, these excessively long dialogues are often made when they are caught on a chase, making it more unbelievable.

There are also parts in the novel that are twisting known facts – which I honestly find senseless! The said manuscript found in Peru, dating back to 600 BC, was written in Aramaic, the language Jesus grew up with. How did it get there from the Middle East to the western coast of South America? As far as I know, people that time were yet to create seaworthy vessels that could cross the Atlantic. Another was the idea that the Mayans had also settled in Peru and was said to have disappeared after they were able to vibrate at a higher level of energy!

I could tell you it is a painstaking, if not annoying, read, but I am not discouraging you to read it though. But if you do, think twice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Celestine Prophecy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jean Pearl (new)

Jean Pearl kagaling mgreview oi!! murag expert.. haha!

butter be scotch haha dugay gud kaau na sya nahuman ug sulat ana. Gi tarung jud XD

message 3: by Jean Pearl (new)

Jean Pearl wahahah! bantog ra diay!

message 4: by Matt (new) - rated it 1 star

Matt an educated grown-ass human actually hyped this?! an idea for education reform: all prospective new hires must answer, under polygraph, whether or not they like the celestine prophecy. maybe i'm just a dreamer.