Ronya Misleh's Reviews > The Marriage Plot

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

Oct 29, 2011

liked it
Read from October 16 to 28, 2011

I wanted to love this book. I was counting down the days until its release. I count Middlesex as one of my favorite books of all time, so I had very high expectations for this LONG awaited novel. I was so disappointed. I won't say that I hated it, because it did have moments of goodness. But was a very intellectual novel with a lot about literature, biology, and religion. Even if you didn't "get" the deeper meaning, the themes, or the symbolism, the more linear story (a somewhat skewed love triangle)is drawn out and boring. The sections and chapters are very long, which led me--if I was reading before bed--to often have to put the book down mid-scenario and go to sleep. I'd pick the book up the next evening and have to go back several pages because I could not remember what was going on; this was not because I have a bad memory but, rather, because I know that, the night before, I was just skimming, waiting to get through, not taking it in. Because it was boring. And, it's not that I'm not even interested in religion or literature (biology is another story). I just couldn't make friends with these characters. I didn't care what happened to them. Toward the end, Eugenides wrote a couple of sentence about how getting through the boring parts of a book was often rewarded by an amazing twist in the plot or another eventual storyline that made that boring part worth it, that made you really love the book and the experience. Such was not the case with this one for me. I may have to go back and reread Middlesex to restore my love of and faith in his work. Three stars because he is who he is and because, maybe if I were feeling like taking on such a "smart" book in a responsible way, I would have enjoyed it more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Plot.