Erica's Reviews > Interpreter of Maladies

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Aug 15, 11

Read in March, 2010

I have come across the name "Jhumpa Lahiri" when I saw the movie "The Namesake" a few years back. "The Namesake" is a heart-breaking story of culture adaptation, history and love. As I have read online afterwards, Lahiri is herself a Bengali born in London, the perfect person to write about culture adaptation, confusion and identity of Indians in foreign countries.

A few weeks later I found her "Interpreter of Maladies", a collection of her short stories in the warehouse sale, and I bought it without a hesitation - and I did not regret buying it. In spite of the almost-boring structure at a glance, the stories were written with deep empathy in each character; and each story is the capture of a short moment in one long mundane life of an ordinary person, told with rich emotions yet surrounded by indifferent people in the stories.

Almost each story ends hanging - readers do not know if the characters are happy or sad in the end. What readers see is an open ending of endless possibilities. Each story is a life of its own that does not end as writer penned the last word. Deeply stimulating and definitely stirs deep emotions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interpreter of Maladies.