Mizumi's Reviews > Raveleijn

Raveleijn by Paul van Loon

Sep 26, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, in-dutch
Read in September, 2012

I'm going to be obnoxious and type my review in English.

First of all, this book is a piece of art - it has wonderful illustrations (it's the Efteling so it's to be expected, but still, whoever did them and was sadly only credited as 'Efteling' is very talented), nice thick pages, and overall a very high quality production.
As for the story, I really enjoyed it, despite of it being written for a younger audience. The only drawback I experienced was that the sentences tended to be short and the font was slightly bigger than normal, so it was a quick read - I would have gladly read much more about Raveleijn and the five siblings. I also really wanted to know exactly how the two worlds work and what their relationship is - (view spoiler) Obviously I'm overthinking this, but it's a good sign the book got me thinking that far, I'd say. It's too bad we didn't really get to know the characters over time, however.
On a side note, I absolutely adore how the story uses five elements, rather than the western traditional four. It's a nice unexpected touch. Other nice surprises were actual informed references to things like wikipedia and iTunes. Thank you. Maurits made me laugh with his science talk, only to credit wikipedia afterwards.

So yep, definitely a great read, though it helps if you remind yourself this was written for a younger audience. Reminds me I should check out Raveleijn in the Efteling sometime, shame on me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raveleijn.

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra "Reminds me I should check out Raveleijn in the Efteling sometime, shame on me."

Don't remind me, I've been to the Efteling like 3 times since it opened and still didn't go to see the show! *shame shame shame* ..I just love roller coasters, ok.

Mizumi Ahahaha yeah XD; I've been there once since it opened and I don't even like roller coasters, I have no excuse! Oh well. One day, one day!

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra One day indeed. At least you've seen the series? ;)

Mizumi Yep, and I even have them on DVD! Whoa. Look at the investment and still not having seen the actual show XD;

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Maybe you should try to change that at some point. XD

Mizumi LOL I probably will next time - just not sure when that'll be, so here's hoping the show won't disappear for a while. It seemed pretty cool judging from the part I've seen from a distance.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Naw, it's a big hit, and it sells tons of merchandise and shit. It'll be there for quite some time, I think.

(E.g., Walt Disney Studios in Paris still plays the same darned car show they did when the park opened about 10 years ago!)