Maria's Reviews > Raw Spirit

Raw Spirit by Iain Banks

Aug 12, 11

We are heading to Scotland soon and this is one of the few modern travelogues on Scotland I could fine although the theme is very much a tour of the distilleries. It is written by a native of Scotland, now living in Fife who is an author. As such the writing is spirited and entertaining and you get a real sense for the author's personality & friendships. His passion for whiskey is rather infectious. His other great love is cars and driving, and the book contains numerous musings on the cars he owns and why, the best speed to drive them at and his view on roads (for driving etc.). Not being of interest to me I found it a bit tedious. I would have enjoyed a little more reflection on the Scottish culture in different parts, and personality, as well as perhaps a couple of hand drawn maps of the locations he describes. The book is very much a personal reflection, and whilst enjoyable it didn't really work as a travelogue for me, rather something to read if you're really into whiskey (or cars for that matter).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raw Spirit.