Xeyra's Reviews > Little Earthquakes

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

Apr 09, 08

bookshelves: read-2005, chick-lit, fiction
Read in October, 2005

I really enjoyed this novel. I don't usually read chick-lit, not because I don't like it, but mostly because my usual literary tastes tend to other genres more often than not. It doesn't mean I won't sit down with a light read once in a while in-between other books, or that I'm not willing to read something that's outside my usual genre. I like to consider myself versatile in my readings.

So, I picked this book up for the YBS #8 at Bookrelay because I saw it on many wishlists and had added it to mine as well. I looked at the story's premise, sounded like something I'd like to read and went ahead. I didn't regret my choice. I really liked this book: the characters felt real, with their problems, their ways of getting around those problems, of dealing with them. Characters who suffered, laughed, cried, fought, smiled, lived. Characters that, despite everything, looked like real people.

The story is simple -- it's about four women and their maternity problems, their lives, their husbands, parents, mother-in-laws... But it's told with such heart, captivating you from the first page to the last. There are characters you'll love and hate, with whom you'll identify with, with whom you'll cry and laugh. I ended up shedding some tears at the end of the book, just because I wasn't indiferent to these characters that seemed so real.

I will be looking for more books by Jennifer Weiner in the future, without a doubt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Earthquakes.