Jennie's Reviews > Prospect Park West

Prospect Park West by Amy Sohn

Aug 12, 2011

it was ok
Read in July, 2011

I don't know why I keep reading Amy Sohn's books. I have some sick fascination with them. Her characters are deplorable. I start out enjoying snarking on them, but by the end I just want them to all kill themselves or each other so we can all be put out of our misery. I have read 3 of her novels on 3 different beach vacations, and that is the only thing that makes them bearable, that my friends are there, usually somewhat buzzed, and I can read the especially absurd parts aloud to them as we sit on the beach.

This book actually started out okay, but by the end all of these big storylines she was building got resolved through short, relatively painless conversations between the characters; no big scenes or blow-ups,no consequences to any of their bad behaviors. We didn't even get to read some of these conversations, just heard about them in passing later. All I could think was, "Well, shit, if that's all it took to resolve your issues, then why even write the book?"

The other awful thing about this book was how the characters were all parents but none of them had any kind of relationship or meaningful interactions with their children at all. The parents were just a bunch of miserable, self-absorbed assholes who couldn't get outside of themselves long enough to show any human kindness to anyone -- not even their own families. Gross.

The one part I did enjoy was the indie-film actress unraveling at her lunch/interview with the director. And, it was fun getting to know the characters and neighborhood at the beginning. Once you get to know them better is where the whole thing goes downhill.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prospect Park West.

01/31 marked as: read