Reading Vacation's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Aug 13, 11

Read on August 13, 2011

A war between angels and devils. A world in ruins. A devil’s workshop. BRING IT!

Karou has had an interesting childhood. Understatement of the year! Raised by monsters in a mystical workshop, she has always been different. Even with her unique past though, Karou fought to have a normal life and friends. Knowing that she had typical teen tendencies despite the obvious "raised by monsters" thing made her someone I could grow attached to as a character. There is a lot about herself that Karou does not understand, and there's an intense fight to learn. I went through most of the book trying to figure out the mystery that was Karou, and had a fun time puzzling it out.

The worlds that Laini Taylor created are vividly and colorfully described. The real world action takes place in the artsy, haunted town of Prague. I immersed myself in the culture of Prague and loved visiting. Then there is the world of Fretz, an alternate dimension where angels and devils are at war. I was blown away by the descriptions of the caged city of chimaeras. They are devilish creatures that seem like a mix of animal and human and demon. It's paranormal goodness!

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is mysterious, creepy, and beautiful. Yes, beautiful. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a paranormal mystery. Be prepared to be swept away into a world of intrigue and battle. This one sits near the top of my 2011 favorite books.

RATING

5 Loved

COVER COMMENTS

The cover shows Karou in her turquoise feather mask for the masked ball. I like how the turquoise pops against the black background. Same goes for the white title font. Oh, and the funky title totally makes sense when you read the book. Nice!