Tricia's Reviews > The Well of Ascension

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

Aug 16, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, series, 2011
Read in August, 2011

This book was slower than the first and far less rewarding. Perhaps this is because I don't quite have a head for politics and this book was ripe with political turmoil and subtle manipulations. It wasn't difficult to understand, but just a bit boring to me; I would have liked a few more duels. Also, the utter failures encountered by the protagonists in this book were a little hard to take at times. I hate feeling like the characters, that I've grown to like, are morons who constantly make mistakes! However, I am able to accept that this is a realistic approach to take and I kind of liked that everything didn't magically work out perfectly in the end. It just kind of made for a sad story.
The concept of the Well of Ascention is a good one, but I was disappointed in the lack of information regarding it's history and true nature. Quite similar to the way that I was impressed with the first book having a solid conclusion, I felt that this book was much more of that "cliff-hanger" type of book that I don't like. Very little was accomplished or explained, putting a lot of pressure on the third book to tie things up, in my opinion. If you want to read this book, you have to be in it for the long haul and be committed to finishing the series (and hoping that it will be worth it!).
Oh and as a side note (not really important, but a warning for those who may share my pet peeve), this book was dripping with romantic sappiness! At times I could barely take it. All this wishy-washy-ness of "do I truly love him?" "are we meant to be together?" "does he/she understand me?" "I don't deserve you, you're too good for me" inner ramblings were both boring and nauseating to read. At times I just wanted to slap Vin. I don't find the inner conflict of a teenage girl that interesting when she is whining about how hard her life has been and can't decide if she really loves a King.
Consider yourself warned and prepare to skim (it comprises the majority of the book, but is densely concentrated in the first 100 pages).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well of Ascension.

Quotes Tricia Liked

Brandon Sanderson
“It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time...The losses are what define a man's faith.”
Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension