Kimberly's Reviews > Harriet the Spy

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

Aug 20, 11

Read from August 12 to 20, 2011

*Warning: Spoilers*

Had this one sitting on my bookshelf forever. I can see why I never finished it back in the day. Harriet is a little twit. She calls people "fat" and "stupid" constantly; her ability as a writer never grows beyond that, even when she becomes editor of the sixth grade newspaper. And I have to say that her "pieces" for the paper are unacceptable, as they are spotlight pieces about her neighbors and classmates that are straight up rude. I don't see any real progression for the protagonist. She's an only child (which I can relate to) who is lonely, bored, curious, and intelligent so she needs something to do. Ok, I get it. But I don't feel as though she ever channels that energy into something really productive, something really creative and great, even after the series of events that should really have led her there (ie. the kids reading her notebook, the psychiatrist visit, & Ole Golly's letter). I suppose she starts writing on her book, but we never get a clipping from it, so we don't know how she writes or what she says in that narrative.

Anyway, I'm not sure this is a book I'd want my kids to read. It's definitely a children's book, but there's not much that's redeeming about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harriet the Spy.