Agnes Benis's Reviews > The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

F 50x66
Aug 12, 2011

liked it

The depiction of the London blitz and a small town on the Cape during World War II was perfect. The evocatin of how one part of the world goes on and the other is under obliteration was so true and the questions of how to deal with this are timeless and current throughout the world.

However, I had trouble "knowing" the characters. Frankie's stories are heart wrenching - Billy who runs home and everyone is gone except him, Thomas, the Jew on the train,the boy on the train whose mother chooses to leave him and send him to safety, the woman with her dead child during a blitz attack. However Frankie herself was an unknown in spite of her gasping for breath during her radio reports. I felt she was cold and I had no feeling for her. In fact, for most of the book I wasn 't sure I even liked her.

Iris, was in spite of her holding the letter, a strange, almost too staight and narrow, uptight person. I still do not understand the certificate of virginity. She had no warmth.

Emma,although the most sympathetic, did she not wonder until the last moment why she did not receive letters after getting one every day? And why did she not tell Will during this daily correspondence that she was pregnant? That might have brought him home.

Will and his journey for redemption is somewhat selfish. Could he not have found another way other than leaving a wife who has all her life felt like an orphan?

The book does bring forth that everyone's life is fragmented stories that cannot or at times, should not be pieced together.

I thought the style of the book was overly flowery, reaching for poetry when this is prose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postmistress.