Books-treasureortrash's Reviews > The Friday Night Knitting Club

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit, reviewed
Read in August, 2011

Book Review: 2 Treasure Boxes

Georgia Walker and her twelve year old daughter are the proprietors of Walker and Daughter, a little yarn shop in Manhattan. Together with the women in their lives they develop a Friday night knitting club which is a safe place where they can get together to knit, eat and discuss life. This book is a slice of life for these six women as they each struggle with their own challenges helping each other.

Kate Jacobs has written four novels all concerning the members of the Friday Night Knitting Club. This is a chick-lit book that revolves around a group of women who help and support each other. It is told in the third person narrative with the voice and thoughts of the main characters.

The Friday Night Knitting Club had a bit of a slow beginning, initially just focusing on Georgia and Dakota. But soon we are introduced to the other members in the club and once we get to know all the different characters, we really start to care about them. I also like how Ms. Jacobs uses the analogy of knitting a garment with living our lives. The book weaves an interesting tale of these women and their lives with a shocking ending.

This is a standalone book, it was interesting but not really exciting. If you enjoy reading slice of life, chick-lit books then you should give this book a try.

My favourite quote from the book: "You've been really kind to me, to Perry, all of us. I kinda wanted to make a film about that, about women pursuing their dreams and being independent. "

For more of my reviews go to: http://books-treasureortrash.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Friday Night Knitting Club.