Nicolemauerman's Reviews > The Man in the Gray Flannel Skirt

The Man in the Gray Flannel Skirt by Jon-Jon Goulian

1919825
Aug 12, 11

Read in August, 2011

This memoir was very frustrating. The purpose of the book is for the author to explain why he turned out so abnormal (dressing like a woman, OCD, cannot hold a job) when he grew-up in a family of over-achievers. The author never really explains why. Instead he jumps from thought to thought and story to story. One wonders if his underachievement could be explained as a simple case of ADD combined with OCD. I felt that the author was trying to gain sympathy from his childhood having grown-up with those who expected so much. However, the author had a very privileged life: East coast summer camp, spending the summers in his family’s Vermont summer home, meeting presidents; that I often found myself rolling my eyes at his stories. This author’s boring stories are filled with the longest sentences. Jon-Jon ditch the comas and learn how to use some periods! I would recommend other readers to avoid this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man in the Gray Flannel Skirt.