Myles's Reviews > The Incredible Journey

The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford

Apr 22, 15

bookshelves: adventure, kids-stuff, mom, dcf
Read from September 18 to 19, 2011

Luath the young Labrador, Bodger the old English bull terrier and Tao the Siamese cat set out on a long 300 mile trek home through the Canadian wilderness.

This book was a real treat. I've only ever seen Homeword Bound: The Incredible Journey, the remake of the original adaption with talking animals, but the basic plot and encounters were essentially the same. The movie was just a touch more melodramatic. Just a touch. This book blows that beloved-by-little-me classic out of the water though. Even knowing how it all was going to turn out didn't stop me from tearing up at the end, I know, how sentimental of me. Related to that: if I had read this when I was little I would have been bothered by how sad and lonely (view spoiler) The old man in the woods on the other hand, he seemed to be doing just fine. Child logic.

Kids familiar with anthropomorphized everything and expecting catch phrases might not pick this up as easily, but for those who still eat up White Fang or Kazan the Wolf Dog or...I'm trying to think of a realistic cat/big cat adventure story and can't think of one, but anyway those who like those stories are going to love this. Other kids will love it too, it'll just take more persuasion.

I couldn't stop myself from thinking of Tao as Sassy though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Incredible Journey.

09/18/2011 page 29