Pricky's Reviews > The Clearing

Aug 12, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: time-travel, romance, read-in-2011
Read from August 12 to 14, 2011

(2.5 STARS) Fleeing from her old life, Amy tries to start over in a small town and finds herself escaping to a previous time period in the clearing behind her aunt's home.

As Amy travels between both time periods, I could visualize myself in both places. Davis does a great job of describing both the present day small town life as well as the past 1940's farm life. From the town's corner convenience store to descriptions of apple pie and biscuits, Davis' strength is in her ability to make you feel like you are there.

While Davis' premise and theme of the story were intriguing, I found the characters to be flat. I had a hard time connecting with Amy; I know she's trying to deal with an abusive relationship and has been in some difficult decisions, but her attitude and behavior just didn't match up for me...especially since she's supposed to be recovering from an abusive relationship with her ex, Matt. One minute she's remembering how awful it was to be with him, the next she misses him and calls him up. Also, one day she's sociable and the next she wants to be alone. Amy just had too many unresolved issues going on...which is maybe what Davis was trying to show? The complications of life, and dating, etc...??? Which is fine...but I guess I was just looker for a stronger heroine? It was just not what I wanted.

I also had a hard time believing in this "timeless" love between Henry (from the past) and Amy. I think the major reason I felt so disconnected with their relationship was because Jackson (the boy who likes her in the present) also seemed like a good match for her as well...and he LIVES in the present....And to be honest, I liked Jackson the most out of all the characters. And in fact, we find out (view spoiler). So what does that say about Henry and Amy's "timeless romance?"

The plot itself was somewhat predictable and the ending was to be expected. (view spoiler)

Overall, I did like how she set up the time travel and I liked her descriptions but I just found the book to be "OK."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clearing.