Richard's Reviews > The Eye of the World

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Sep 11, 2014

bookshelves: fantasy, fantasy-epic
Read from October 16 to 20, 2011

I've read the first three of this series, and that's enough.

I previously gave this first book in the series five stars; but two problems have convinced me to downgrade it. The first was that I had to use Wikipedia to remind me what book this was — not a good sign, is it? I mean, I can remember important elements of five-star books I read thirty-plus years ago (e.g., Lord of Light). Second, once I reminded myself which epic series this was, I recalled it as "Oh, yeah, that's the one where the plot arc of each book is identical?"

One of my GR friends tells me that the third book is the high point in the series — both the strongest and the one where things start slowing down. I'm happy I stopped there.

                    ❦

For my own archival purposes, this is the reason I first picked this one up.

(So, I took a look at NPR’s “Your Picks: Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books”, and skimming through I was a bit surprised to find a series at position 12 that I've never read and don't really know anything about. That doesn't mean I'll enjoy this — some of the stuff on that list is crap, IMHO. And the fact that this is the Conan the Barbarian guy doesn't bode well. But the overall ratings are excellent, and at least one of my GR friends gave this five stars, so I’ll take a look.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eye of the World.