Stefan's Reviews > When Gadgets Betray Us: The Dark Side of Our Infatuation With New Technologies

When Gadgets Betray Us by Robert Vamosi

Aug 30, 11

Read from August 22 to 29, 2011

The author knows his stuff, although a fair amount was not new news to me. The problem is the writing itself - it's one citation after another of research showing the limitations of technology presented in tabloid-scare fashion that starts to get a little stale after the second chapter. Invariably, he'll spend pages ripping apart something only to follow it with a one sentence, "well this probably won't affect you" line. Also - another sign of poor writing - most of the chapters end with a ridiculous sentence like, "if you thought that was bad wait until you see what happens next chapter" So frustrating.

He could have improved this by spending equal time on problems and potential ideas for solutions. As I said, he's no dummy - obviously well- versed in the tech world, he would probably be more readable as a columnist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Gadgets Betray Us.

08/22/2011 page 42