Tami's Reviews > The Red Garden

Sep 20, 2011

bookshelves: goodreads-giveaways, 2011

I haven't received the book yet, just barely received notice I had won. 8/12/11
Still haven't received my copy. 9/12/11
Received Saturday 9/17/11 and started yesterday 9/18/11.
Finished last night, 9/19/11.

The Red Garden introduces us to the luminous and haunting world of Blackwell, Massachusetts. From the town’s founder, a brave young woman from England who has no fear of blizzards or bears, to the young man who runs away to New York City, the characters in The Red Garden are extraordinary and vivid: a young wounded Civil War soldier who is saved by a neighbor, a woman who meets a fiercely human historical character, a poet who falls in love with a blind man, a mysterious traveler who comes to town in the year when summer never arrives. At the center of everyone’s life is a garden where only red plants can grow, and where the truth can be found by those who dare to look. The Red Garden is as unforgettable as it is moving.

Stole that from the blurb here on GoodReads. Wasn't sure how to summarize this book. I really enjoyed this book. I normally don't do short stories, and while this really isn't, it sort of is. This book takes place in the town from settlement to present day. It tells some heartbreaking stories, and throws in little bits of fantasy. I love that the garden turns everything red, and ties each of the stories together. What a great win.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Garden.