seanat (elka)'s Reviews > The Secrets Between Us

The Secrets Between Us by Louise Douglas

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from August 17 to 18, 2011

I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!
I'm very pleased to have received this copy through this challenge.

This is my third Louise Douglas book and didn't disappoint. Very different and darker than her other two but like them it also made for compulsive reading.

After the loss of her baby and her partners adultery Sarah holidays in Sicily and dives head first into a relationship with Alex, a lone father of 6 year old Jamie, and whose wife Genevieve has recently left him.
Desperate to escape her old life and bad memories she agrees to upsticks and move to the tiny (slightly oppressive) village of Burrington Stoke - where everyone is watching and judging- to act as nanny and housekeeper and with the 'promise' of something more.
However the past cannot remain buried - Alex remains secretive, Sarah becomes obsessed by Genevieve who hasn't been since she left and suspicions and rumours soon threaten their relationship.

I read this in under 24 hours as I couldn't seem to put it down. I couldn't wait to find out what had happened to Genevieve and loved the slow buildup of tensions as Sarah's doubts and questions grew.The blurb states it is reminicent of 'Rebecca' by Du Maurier and I certainly noticed the similarities esp in Sarah's feeling constantly compared unfavourably to the 'perfect' Genevieve.

Douglas' descriptions of Sicily were stunning too - a place anyone might really lose themselves in, perhaps even begin an unlikely romance?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secrets Between Us.